Group cycling and peloton riding have numerous benefits that can help you improve your physical and mental health. According to Road Cycling UK (1), riding in a group can save you energy by up to 20% in a small group and up to 40% in a larger peloton. This means that you can ride longer distances with less effort and enjoy the company of other riders.
In addition to saving energy, riding in a group can also be safer than riding alone. You can benefit from the camaraderie of other riders and learn from their experience. Riding in a group can also help you improve your bike handling skills and make informed tactical decisions (2).
Peloton riding has additional benefits that can help you increase your speed and endurance. According to Bicycling (3), riding in the belly of a pack can nearly double your energy savings by reducing aerodynamic drag. This means that you can ride faster with less effort and enjoy the thrill of speed that you could not otherwise achieve on your own. Watch out Strava Segments, there is a new PB heading their way.
In the off season or inclement weather, indoor cycling trainers and popular applications like Zwift and Rouvy and spin-classes are another great way to enjoy the benefits of group cycling. According to Healthline (4), indoor cycling classes can help you lose weight, improve your strength and endurance, and enhance your cardiovascular health. These benefits are enhanced when indoor cycling classes are combined with other cardio and resistance workouts.
5 Tips for new cyclist to Group Riding
Preparing for your first group ride? Here are five tips for anyone new to group riding.
1. Be on time and prepared: Arrive at the meeting point on time and with all necessary equipment such as a helmet, water bottle, and spare tube.
2. Introduce yourself: Introduce yourself to other riders and let them know if you’re new to group riding.
3. Point out turns and road hazards: Point out turns and road hazards to other riders by using hand signals or calling out.
4. Act in the group’s best interest: Ride predictably and avoid sudden movements that could cause accidents.
5. Adjust your time at the front, not the pace of the group: When it’s your turn to lead, maintain a steady pace that’s comfortable for everyone in the group.
Why not join a local cycling group?
Looking for a great, supportive, and well organized cycling group in the York Region (Aurora, Bradford, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, Newmarket, Richmond Hill)? Check our local bike shop Spoke O’Motion’s cycling club (SOMCC). The SOMCC crew heads out for group rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with intermediate and advanced weekend rides coming soon.
Tuesday Evening Group Rides – All Riders & Women’s Night
Details: This ride will be split into two distinct groups catering to riders of different experience levels. If you are new to road riding and would like join a group of non-competitive riders to learn the basics about shifting, etiquette, and the rules of group riding, then this night is for you.
Whenever possible, this group will have a female Ride Leader and we are really encouraging women to join us for this instructional, friendly ride catering specifically to the needs of new riders.
Duration: 60 – 90 minutes
Average Speed: 22 – 26km/h
Start time: 6:00pm
Thursday Evening Group Rides – Beginner / Intermediate
Details: This ride will be split into two distinct groups catering to riders of different experience levels. If you are new to road riding and would like join a group of non-competitive riders to learn the basics about shifting, etiquette, and the rules of group riding, then this night is for you. If the Beginner night is no longer offering the challenge you are looking for, step up to our Thursday night program.
Duration: 60 – 90 minutes
Average Speed: 25 – 29km/h
Start time: 6:00pm
Tuesdays are a great ride for beginners and advanced riders.
In conclusion, group cycling and peloton riding have numerous benefits that can help you improve your physical and mental health. Whether you prefer outdoor or indoor cycling, riding in a group can save you energy, improve your bike handling skills, and make informed tactical decisions. Peloton riding can also help you increase your speed and endurance by reducing aerodynamic drag. So why not join a cycling group or take an indoor cycling class today?
- Conversation with Bing, 2023-05-10
- (1) Cycling technique: how to ride in a group – Road Cycling UK. https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/technique/technique-stephen-roches-group-riding-tips.html.
- (2) 10 Secrets for Riding in a Peloton | ACTIVE. https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/10-secrets-for-riding-in-a-peloton
- (3) Pelotons Reduce Aerodynamic Drag to Increase Speed – Bicycling. https://www.bicycling.com/news/a22625969/group-ride-cycling-increases-free-speed
- (4) The Benefits of an Indoor Cycling Class, Muscles Worked & Tips – Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-of-a-spin-class.
- Photo by Munbaik Cycling Clothing: https://www.pexels.com/photo/unrecognizable-sportsmen-riding-bikes-on-asphalt-road-5851018/